Saturday, August 7, 2010

Review: Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls 2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Synopsis:

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.
At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love - the light and the dark, the warm and the cold - in a way you will never forget.

The Elliott Review:

Before I was even halfway through reading Shiver, I broke my book buying ban to purchase Linger because the library didn't have a copy, and I was not going to wait to read more. The continuation of the story from book one kind of eliminated that perfect happy-ending feel that I was left with at the end of Shiver, but the profound meaning that was created in Linger was well worth it. We all want the fairy-tale ending, but as of this point Sam and Grace do not have that.

I continue to love the story of Sam's life. His flashbacks, his tenderness, his kindness to others, his desperation to cling to humanity no matter what. I never thought I would find a werewolf that was more loveable than J. K. Rowling's Remus Lupin,  but I was actually very wrong about that. Sam is an engaging, complex character who brings a sense of gravity to the story through all that has happened to him, and yet who wouldn't want to be loved by someone with his sense of feeling??

This book of multiple voices - Sam, Grace, Isabel, and Cole. At first I was irritated at the departure from the format of Shiver, but I ended up loving the perspective of each character, as each one added a layer so deep that it was amazing. Sam and his sensitivity. Grace and her worries and fears about the future. Isabel wanting to avoid feeling something and not putting up with others' crap. Cole coming into a new awareness of himself.

Like I mentioned in my previous review, I have not encountered such a deep story like this in quite some time. Maggie Stiefvater has been added to my ever-expanding list of favorite authors.


Trailer: The Wolves of Mercy Falls

1 comment:

  1. Wrapped up in themselves and their careers, they are aggravatingly oblivious, managing to check in with their seventeen-year-old daughter in the unlikely event it occurs to them. And since she's never known any different, and they are her parents, the eminently practical Grace made her peace with it a long time ago. She doesn't weep over lost chances.

    ReplyDelete