Sunday, September 26, 2010

ARC Review: Jane by April Lindner

Synopsis:

Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, a world-famous rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance.

But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is soon tested by an agonizing secret from his past. Torn between her feelings for Nico and his fateful secret, Jane must decide: Does being true to herself mean giving up on true love?

An irresistible romance interwoven with a darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers.


The Elliott Review:

As the summary above states, this is a modern retelling of Jane Eyre, one of my favorite literary classics. I read the book forever ago in middle school because I could understand it (and felt quite smug about that), but looking back I believe I missed some layers of meaning. What I may have missed out on in the original, I re-discovered and loved all the more in Jane. I was pleasantly reminded of some of my favorite plot elements - actually everything that my hazy memory holds was there, but the fact that this is all modern-day brought everything out in such a powerful way. It took me a few chapters to really get into the book, but after I was there... I was there. This is a story that is perfectly complete in its own right, not just as a copycat. There will be no confusion or dissatisfaction in readers who are not familiar with Jane Eyre.

Jane's character was sensible, practical, rational and hides her true emotions just under the surface, trying to stifle and deny them. But with Nico she just can't do that anymore and has to open up and actually do what she feels in her heart... But the heart is deceitful and flies in the face of ration sometimes, right? And this is what happens to Jane...

And Nico Rathburn, Mr. Rochester's counterpart, won my heart over totally and completely. His bad-boy image and desire to change and be a good father made me love him. The torment and regret that he has to live with on a daily basis make me just want to give his sexy hazy-eyed self an enormous hug. And of course the fact that he falls for a practical, no-fuss girl makes me appreciate him. And I'll admit I loved putting myself in Jane's place!!

This book is just - delicious. It's a work of genius. I will most definitely be pre-ordering this one!



Jane Trailer:





Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment