Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Review: Mockingjay (Hunger Games 3) by Suzanne Collins

Synopsis:

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins’s groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.

The Elliott Review:

This book was not what I expected at all. I'm not really sure what I was expecting. What I found, though, was a book full of a lot of symbolic depth with a lot to say about what it means to be human, about sacrifice, about alliances, about loss, and about surviving.

The texture/format of the book felt drastically different from the first two. Where the first two were structured by the format of the Games, this one was - to me - very unstructured. In places, this frustrated me because my mind had no clear path to understand what was going on or to predict what would happen next. As I read on, however, I realized that this was either intentional or a by-product of the themes in the book. The whole point is showing the highly structured world of Panem and how it is literally reeling from the rebellion and existing in a state of utter chaos. Of course, there can't be the same format as before.

Not much can be said about the Peeta-Gale-Katniss love-triangle without ruining the surprise. By the middle of the book, I really stopped caring about the romance angle and just wanted to see what inner resolution Katniss was going to make and to see what a world without the icky-evil President Snow would be like. I did get to witness one of my favorite scenes - the girl of the love triangle listening in on a conversation between the objects of her affection. (Mwahaha!)

The end was so suspenseful, and I was shocked again and again. Let's just say that none of my predictions about the conflict between Panem and the rebels came to pass. The ending was more than I expected, and I really like the way Collins tied everything together. This is a work of genius.

6 comments:

  1. I agree. I loved this novel and thought it was a wonderful ending to an awesome series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! I am so happy to see another fan of the series who felt the way I did about the book. I thought it was billiant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came to your review from Cym's Book Review Wednesday. Thanks! I couldn't agree more. I was truly surprised by this trilogy (I gobbled them one after the other about 3 weeks ago. So nice to have popular YA fiction (especially stuff that girls read) breaking out of the Twilight mold.

    You've got a new follower!

    I blog at http://thebookfrog.blogspot.com Hope you'll stop by some time (my entry over at Cym's this week was a review of the beautiful The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it wasn't what I was expecting (not that I had too clear a picture of that) but it was really well-written and pretty epic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest after reading so many things both good and bad about this book I really don't know what to think of it - to read it or not to read it? Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am extremely confused by this book. not by the information and plot, but the way she ended it. I just wish she would have given a little more insight into the lives of the characters and where they ended up when all was said and done.
    Don't get me wrong. the book was excellent, heart stopping,heart shattering, and adrenaline pumping like the other two, but the ending. I am just so confused why Collins did not give her audience a little more of a resolution.

    ReplyDelete