Thursday, December 23, 2010

BBT: Books That Changed My Life

This weeks Booking Through Thursday is about a book that changed our lives. I chose two.

Little House on the Prairie Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder


This is the first experience I had with literature that left an impression. My mom had a tradition of reading to my sister and I every night before bed, and I loved to lay and follow along with the words as she read. My sister would be doing a puzzle or playing with something off to the side, but she was listening. We are both now avid readers. Once, NOT being read to was used as a punishment for us because we had dropped a tube of toothpaste into the toilet while fighting while getting ready for bed. That's how much both of us loved this time. These books were part of what fueled my desire to become a published author.


Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend


I'm the type of person that naturally wants everyone to be at peace and will go to great lengths to please people at the price of my own needs sometimes. This book really peels back the layers of how to establish healthy personal boundaries. It's not about being dependent or independent because we all were created for relationships; it's about being INTERdependent. If you don't feel the freedom to say no, then your yes is never truly a yes. I constantly think about and refer to this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment