Friday, January 7, 2011

ARC Review: Across the Universe (Across the Universe 1) by Beth Revis



Synopsis:

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
 
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Details:

  • Pub. Date: January 2011
  • Publisher: Penguin Group (USA) 
The Elliott Review:

Since I am not a big sci-fi fan, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this book or not. I am extremely glad that I stepped out of my comfort zone and gave it a try, though, because Across the Universe is one of the best books I've read in quite some time. It blends important elements of sci-fi with an element of fantasy and dystopia that combine to, as a friend likes to say, blow your mind socks. The action of this book is so emotionally charged and just left me completely breathless at times. I kept trying to guess what I thought was going on only to be thrown through a loop completely. The suspense just builds and builds.

I've always been intrigued by the idea of people being cryogenically frozen, and it was creepy/chilling to see Amy undergoing that procedure at the beginning of the book. When she awakes, she is now in the midst of a new world that has been formed during her 250 years of sleep. The passengers awake aboard the Godspeed have lived and reproduced over the generations, and at some point what is known as the Plague occurred and a Hitler-like leader that called himself Eldest stepped up to control the ship.

The current Eldest presides rules with an iron hand, lying to and manipulating the people aboard the ship. When Amy awakes and meets Elder, the teen who will be Eldest one day, she easily sees the craziness of the actions around her and tries to work with Elder to find out who seems to be systematically murdering some of the other frozen people on the ship. Elder has to decide if he wants to be a ruler like his mentor or if he can be something different.

I'd have to say that Elder and his thoughts about everything were my favorite to read. I love how he interacted with Amy, who challenges everything he has been raised to believe. Their relationship is one that I can't wait to see develop further in the other books in this trilogy.

Source: Good Golly Miss Holly (ARC) Tours

2 comments:

  1. I am SO excited for this book to come out- it looks so good! Thanks for the review (and awesome interview too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. O I'm reading this next. I can not wait!

    Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete