Thursday, February 17, 2011

Narrator Interview: Cassandra Morris

Since it feels like I spend forever in my car, you'd think I would've caught on to audiobooks long before now, but I could never finish one! When I saw that Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers Trilogy was in audio form, I decided to try again. I am SO glad I did. What made all the difference to me was the awesome narrator - Cassandra Morris! Her voice brought the characters to life. Since ANYTHING that she has narrated is sure to be worth checking out, I decided to invite her here to the blog for a few questions.


How did you get involved with narrating audiobooks?

I was living in New York and working with Abrams Artists Agency. One of the agents, J.J., asked if I'd like to audition for an audiobook called Dear Zoe by Phillip Beard. I never refuse an audition, so I said yes... even though I barely knew what an audiobook was. I read the audition script an hour before the audition and kind of freaked out. 3 pages long?! I was used to short commercial copy, which was 4-5 lines at most. So, I took a deep breath and talked myself down and just read it. I connected with it instantly. The teenage protagonist, Tess, had just experienced the loss of her 3-year-old sister. I had just gotten broken up with by a guy I thought I was going to marry, so I was depressed and definitely felt a loss in my life. Sept 11 plays a huge role in the book, and I was in downtown NYC on Sept 11, watching the towers fall from 20 blocks away. I was able to draw so many parallels between the book and my life. I wanted the job so badly. I think the director could tell, because I booked it. That first book lead to more and more and here I am today!

About how many audiobooks have you recorded?

Over 100. Some were under the name Lauren Davis,

What are your favorites out of the books you have recorded?

Dear Zoe, all of the Ivy & Bean series, all of The Clique books and Elegance of the Hedgehog.

What are your future career plans?

To continue doing voiceovers, work on a major network cartoon, and explore all of my artistic inclinations.

Are you currently working on any projects?

I am recording the anime series K-On! I play Ritsu, the drummer in an all-girl band. I also just started the audiobook series Marty McGuire.

Do you like to read? What authors/books are your favorites?

I have always loved to read. I read so much when I was in elementary school that my parents thought it was overkill and actually started to discourage me from it & join the real world. I love Megan McCafferty's Jessica Darling series. The books I can read over & over again are Fierce People by Dirk Wittenborn, Josie & Jack by Kelly Braffet and The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm currently reading Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl.

1 comment:

  1. Loved listening to the Kelly Armstrong trilogy. Great job Cassandra. And thanks for the interview, both of you.

    ReplyDelete