Saturday, March 26, 2011

ARC Review: Delirium (Delirium 1) by Lauren Oliver

Synopsis:

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love - the deliria - blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Details:
  • Pub. Date: February 2011
  • Publisher: HarperCollins Children's 
The Elliott Review:

Having seen so many drastically different reviews of this book, I wasn't sure what to expect from Delirium. I was excited to read it because dystopia rocks my socks right now. It's written in interesting prose that makes up most of the text. Having so little freedom in her day to day interactions with others, Lena's inner life is where she experiences most of her emotions and where the most "action" happens. At first, this seemed to bog things down for me, but as I continued reading and became more accustomed to the texture of the narrative, I became engaged in Lena's story.

The way Lena's current actions are so affected by her mother and her suicide and life choices even though she hasn't been with her for years is moving. I like seeing that she is very much her mother's child, acting on what is in her heart even though she hasn't been taught that way and must hold it all inside. Her relationship with Alex becomes sort of breathtaking even though at times I didn't think there was enough development for him. They have this amazing connection that is so fresh and new because it's the first time that Lena is truly being herself and allowing her feelings to blossom.

The book is filled with little foreshadowing that, at first, just seems like randomly mentioned details but that later become important to the plot as a whole. I like how things twist at the end - like a blow to the head almost. The ending of the book is a chilling and lyrical cliffhanger that really leaves the interpretation up to the reader. I liked it even though I'm always one to want closure. I think this series will be one to follow for sure. It seems like it might end up being different from all the rest.

Source: Thanks to HarperCollins for sending an ARC for a fair review.

9 comments:

  1. I loved this book, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Great review, Jessi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'm really looking forward to reading this book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome IMM! I can't wait to read Angelfire! Happy Reading!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked this book. I'm looking forward to reading how this book would be like for me. Hopefully, I'll enjoy it as much as you did. Thank you for the review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hopped on over and now I am a follower! Hop on over to my blog at http://www.MagicalUrbanFantasyReads.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I didn’t love this book but the ending was kick ass enough that I’ll read the next :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a grat book. I can't wait for the sequel. Great Review

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am reading it now. At times I want to quit. I close the book and move on to another one, but... I can not stop thinking about Delirium. I go back to it again after finding some support from reviews such as yours (and those comments which are so valuable!!!). As Christie says above about ending which "kicks ass" I start to realize what exactly hods my attention. It's the FEELINGS that the book evokes....makes me coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right about "Lena's inner life is where she experiences most of her emotions and where the most "action" happens. At first, this seemed to bog things down for me, but as I continued reading and became more accustomed to the texture of the narrative, I became engaged in Lena's story."
    That is exactly what happening to me right now.
    Great review!!! I am looking forward to reading more from you, Jessi.

    ReplyDelete