Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Blog Tour: Character Interview with Anna (Moonglass)



What is a favorite memory you shared with your mom when you were younger? 

My favorite memories I have with my mom are of walking the beach together looking for sea glass. It seemed like a time when she was fully content. She glowed then.

What about a favorite memory with your dad from your younger years?

Early morning surf sessions when he’d wake me up in the dark and our VW would already be running. We’d head off to some ‘secret spot’, just the two of us, then share a giant breakfast after.

What is one lesson you've learned about yourself since the move? 

That I'm stronger than I thought.

Have you started to feel more at home here? How is school? 

Yes! I'm definitely more at home here. I run the beach, have good friends at school, even visit my mom’s cottage some days, and it feels different now. More peaceful.

What have you and Tyler been up to lately?

It seems like we’re here at my place a lot—diving or hanging out on the beach. He’s here every Sunday for Poke-N-Eat, and he’s become one of the guys with my dad and Andy. We have time to ourselves too, and we may or may not still sneak into a cottage or two.

What do you think you'll want to do in the future after high school?

That’s something I’m not sure of at all yet. I know I’ll want to always be near the beach, so we’ll see!



From Jessi Kirby, a debut novel about confronting the past in order to move ahead.

I read once that water is a symbol for emotions. And for a while now, I've thought maybe my mother drowned in both.

Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love- a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface. 
While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried along the shore years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean's tide means that nothing- not the sea glass that she collects on the sand and not the truths behind Anna's mother's death- stays buried forever.

Follow Jessi:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Jessi! I like the picture too!

    ReplyDelete