Saturday, April 9, 2011

Review: Scorpia Rising (Alex Rider 9) by Anthony Horowitz

Synopsis:

Scorpia has dogged Alex Rider for most of his life. They killed his parents, they did their best to con Alex into turning traitor, and they just keep coming back with more power. Now the world's most dangerous terrorist organization is playing with fire in the world's most combustible land: the Middle East. No one knows Scorpia like Alex. And no one knows how best to get to Alex like Scorpia. Until now.

The chases have never been more intense, the fights more treacherous, or the risks so perilous to mankind. And this time, Alex won't get away.

Details:


Published March 22nd 2011 by Philomel

The Elliott Review:


I have only read the first book in the Alex Rider series, but I was excited when I received this book for a review because I know that so many of my students are hooked on this series and that been of great interest to the reluctant reader and, specifically, for the boy reader. As an educator, I am always, always, always looking for something that will do that.

The first great thing about the book is that it contained enough information for me to understand the backstories of previous books that I hadn't read. I never felt like I was missing something because of that. This is ideal for the reader who might randomly pick up the book because of a cool/interesting cover. It was great to see how Alex has grown and developed since I last read about him in Stormbreaker. 

The book has so many gadgets and interesting details to engage the male reader. All of the aspects of spying and international intrigue made it feel similar to a Tom Clancy book for younger readers. There is face-paced action as well as description of cool technical gadgets, specific names of weapons and cars, and other items to interest boys. I even though it was cool that within the third-person narration, you never see too much emotion from Alex when he is the main point of view. When another character is observing him, the reader is able to see some of his emotions and vulnerability but never directly from him. I thought this was neat and also very boy.

This is a very strong finish to an interesting and needed series.


Source: Thanks to Philomel and Tracey at Media Masters for providing copies of this book for a fair review.

1 comment:

  1. I was so sad that this was the last book! You have a great blog. If you need more book suggestions for boys, hop over to my blog.

    ReplyDelete