Monday, May 23, 2011

Armchair BEA Day 1: Who I Am and How I Armchair

So.... it's time for Armchair BEA for those of us who couldn't go!!

Hey everyone! If you don't already know me, I am Jessi - a spastic book lover who obsessively tries to escape from the real world in a good book. I'm in the process of finishing my seventh year of teaching English to seventh graders here in the state of Texas. For the most part I really enjoy my job. Earlier on when I was at a not-so-great school, I decided to get my masters in library science so I could become a school librarian. I've finished my degree and still have that as a career goal, but the school financial situation in Texas is not what it should be and not many library jobs are open here. So... I will remain a seventh grade teacher until I can become a librarian or until I have kids I can stay home with. Either way, I get to share my love of reading and writing with kids!

I've almost completed my first year of blogging about books, and so far I've LOVED the experience. It's kind of turned into its own little full time job as I get to read tons of awesome books and discover authors and bloggers I would have never discovered before. I am still really into anything that is paranormal or has elements of fantasy, though I am trying to broaden my horizons into reading more contemporary stories. Does anyone have any awesome edgy, darkish contemporary to recommend?

My main goal is to become a writer, and I'm going to majorly focus on that this summer since I will be off from school. It's going to be a busy summer, so I am still going to have to focus and set aside that time... But I will do it! My idea is somewhat of a magic dystopia paranormal romance type thing. I guess a bit of all my faves thrown in there.

I am not sure how I will Armchair since I haven't done it before, but I am looking forward to seeing what happens! I know I am insanely jealous of everyone who gets to attend BEA for real! :)

15 comments:

  1. Hey! I just now noticed your new look! I am insanely jealous as well....

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post, I'm a new follower and am working on my first Armchair BEA post right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you were a teacher! See, this is why this is good for everyone to get to know each other! :) And of course, I'm also jealous...Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessi! The is my first year doing Armchair BEA. Being a 7th grade teacher should really help your writing. I tell everyone I learned about kid dialogue from being a chauffeur mom and eavesdropping on conversations. Kid speak is so different than adult speak!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I graduated in 2009 with a Bachelors, and my plan was to go to school for library science as well.. but it just didn't work out for me. I hope you get to achieve your goals!

    Teaching seventh graders, man you must have a lot of patience! =)

    Amanda
    glowsnoveladdiction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think being a librarian would be fun, kudos to you for pursuing that career. That is great that you are writing a book. I have always tossed the idea around, but until I think of a story I am passionate about my future career as an amazing author is on the back burner ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like dystopian novels, they offer a break from reality and a look into what some futures could be like. Have fun on your writing journey. Nice to find your blog and add to my blogs I'm following.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teacher's rock! I've been thinking about what I want to do for my master's and have also considered librarianship, even though I just graduated. I just love the little bit of extra time summer gives you to read and write. Happy Armchairing and Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're participating in Armchair BEA! It's going to be great getting to know a ton of other bloggers. Did you happen to get the interview questions I sent you? I want to make sure my email isn't acting stupid!

    Here is my intro post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first time too. I will soon have completed my 5th month of blogging. I agree with you. This is certainly like a full-time job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've visited lots of teachers today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you read The Restorer by Amanda Stevens? It was really good.

    Jen at Red Hot Books

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to "meet" you! I think studying English is probably a lot easier than teaching it. I'm always so impressed with the people who do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! It's nice to meet you, I have only been blogging for about three months but I really do love it. It is a full time on it's own sometimes.

    I am a new follower :)

    In The Name Of Books

    ReplyDelete