Thursday, July 21, 2011

London Day 1: Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, and Westminster Abbey

We flew into London and immediately took the Eurostar to Paris and stayed for a few days. I will get to those days later since we spent more time in London and I'm more excited about recounting that!

Our first full day in London, since my husband is very interested in military things, we headed to Buckingham Palace to see the changing of the guard. I was more concerned about seeing where the royal wedding had taken place not long before.

Apparently, a lot of other people were interested in seeing this, too. I didn't really see much that actually had to do with the guards changing because we were about four rows back from the front gate, and I'm 5' 3".

I did, however, get to listen to the band's lovely rendition of Ricky Martin's Bailamos and Livin' La Vida Loca. I'm not kidding!!!
A better view of the palace as we head toward St. James's Park.

This is somewhere in or near Trafalgar Square. I just posed with random buildings and objects most of the time because I can't get over how steeped in history every square inch of this city is.

I had to have fish and chips even though I don't really like fish. This was heavily breaded enough that I almost couldn't taste the fish! Yummm! And the mushy peas were minty, so that was a little off-putting for me.
Me standing by Westminster Bridge near The London Eye (in the left corner).

Here it is - Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament.

Ah.... Westminster Abbey - my desired destination of the day! This still fully-functioning church is home to Poet's Corner, where some of my literary idols are entombed. I was really planning on taking a gazillion pictures in here only to find that photography was not allowed inside. So, alas, I don't have any pictures of the graves of some awesome people - like Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots, Jane Austen, the Brontes, Chaucher, Shakespeare, Tennyson, Lord Byron, and many others.

I did, however, decide that I would risk being thrown out like the crazy American tourist that I am over the issue of getting a photo of Charles Dickens's grave, the reason I wanted to come to Westminster Abbey in the first place! I'm kind of hoping that by being that close to him, maybe some of his literary expertise will come to me through osmosis.
The Underground!! The complexity of all these trains and how they provide transportation for the city is amazing in and of itself.

I have so many pictures that it's hard to narrow it down to just a few a day. My husband and I aren't the best at capturing amazing photos, both of us usually just preferring to experience what we're experiencing instead of taking a picture every five seconds. In hindsight, I kind of wish we had!!!

More coming tomorrow!!!

6 comments:

  1. I loved London when I visited and your pics make me want to go back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Westminister Abbey is stunning! wowsers, it is truly something. I would love to go to the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It so awesome that you are visiting London, I've always wanted to visit there. =]
    I found your blog randomly and I just want to say your blog is awesome and I love coming here and visiting it. =]

    http://thebookshelfreview.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got to go! Also, I didn't realize how many famous authors are, as you put it, 'entombed' there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun!! Good to see you're having a great time. --I'll have to wait til my kids are grown to take me ..my hubby's not much into traveling!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing with us! I think I'll just live vicariously through you until I get a chance to hop across the pond!

    ReplyDelete