Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Review: A Million Suns (Across the Universe 2) by Beth Revis

Synopsis:

Godspeed was fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. 

It's been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. And everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceship Godspeed. But there may just be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to enact his vision - no more Phydus, no more lies.

But when Elder discovers shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart.

In book two of the Across the Universe trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Beth Revis mesmerizes us again with a brilliantly crafted mystery filled with action, suspense, romance, and deep philosophical questions. And this time it all builds to one mind-bending conclusion: They have to get off this ship.

Details:

Publication date: January 10th 2012 by Razorbill

The Elliott Review:

I'm always terrified of second books. There's this sense of uncertainty, wondering if it will measure up to the first book that got you hooked. Well, um, let me just say that A Million Suns has that same breathless suspense that Across the Universe has. From start to finish, I was totally absorbed in Amy and Elder's story. Their voices resonate so much that I felt entirely wrapped up in what happened to both of them.

Now Elder is in control of the ship, attempting to rule fairly without controlling people with Phydus in their water and without other dictatorial measures taken by Eldest. However, with their increased self-awareness, the people of the ship start hungering for revolution against the whole Eldest system, and they are beyond unwilling to accept a sixteen-year-old as their leader. When someone starts killing, leaving messages that say "Follow the leader," everyone assumes that Elder is behind it all, secretly as dictatorial as Eldest. Things become dangerous for him and for Amy, the freak who doesn't look like everyone else.

Furthermore, Orion has left video clues for Amy, letting her know why he acted the way he did before he was frozen. Although Amy hates him for the intended murder of her frozen parents, Amy and Elder follow the clues to the most shocking revelation yet. I'm going to come out and proudly say that I called it from the last book. I don't know why, but I had already guessed it. This makes me feel proud, especially since I hardly ever do that! However, although I knew what was up, I had no idea why... And that is the most disturbing part of what Amy and Elder uncover.

I still love the bloody pants off Elder, too. He has sacrificed everything he has believed in to do the right thing, only to be unappreciated and challenged and threatened. Glimpses into his childhood also make me want to just give him a hug. Living with Eldest was no picnic, but he managed it with strength. His feelings for Amy mixed with his uncertainty are a powerful combination.

This book is just so amazing, I considered immediately re-reading it when I finished. It's part of a series that cannot be missed.

Young Adult Notes:

Mention of rape, mild sensual scenes, mild language, mild violence.

Source: Thanks to Razorbill for providing a copy of this title in exchange for a fair review.


3 comments:

  1. Well-written reviews are always greatly appreciated. I use them when I'm making lists of books to read or books to gift. Thanks for doing this one.

    Thanks also for stopping in at the Write Game. You're name is in the hat for Sliding on the Edge. Glad your students enjoy The Princess of Las Pulgas. That pleases me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'll be diving into this one over the holiday break. Sounds like it will be VERY enjoyable. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading this! Great review.

    ReplyDelete