Friday, January 13, 2012

Genres - Which do you prefer??

I usually read books that have a paranormal or fantasy or dystopian twist to them. Looking over my books read in 2011, the majority of the books I read were in those three genres. We're talking not very many contemporary or historical books at all. To me, reading is an escape from the stress of daily life, and jumping into a world so completely different from my own makes for a wonderful time away from reality. Strangely enough, the few contemporary novels that I actually did read were some of my top favorites for 2011.

This year so far, I have read five books, and only one of the five has been paranormal. The others? All contemporary. Many of the others I have planned to read in the near future are contemporary as well. I don't know if the shift is in the publishing world - that more contemporary novels are being published or if the change is in me, tastes modifying themselves.

At any rate, I think it's a good thing to get out of your favorite genre for a while and taste the other flavors of the rainbow. What about you? What are your favorite genres??

8 comments:

  1. I'm normally happy with anything that has a taste of romance in it. If it doesn't have romance or a small love story somewhere in the plot I'm normally not interested. However, I do not like instant love and that is so popular in teen.

    I'm happy you are reading some contemps there are some great ones set to come out and several that blew me away in 2011. :)

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cozy mysteries and anything with a historical background, plus a lot of other genres. I read cozies to relax.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also normally prefer paranormal of some kind, but I've noticed that when I read contemporary I FEEL more when reading it sometimes. Although, I'm not always in the mood for anything resembling real life, and that's where all the other genres come into play :-)

    I guess just reading according to your personal taste at the time is a good way to play it. I've been glad when I've branched away from my normal Paranormal reads :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tastes run about the same as yours, and for basically the same reasons. I do like venturing out once in a while though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll read just about any genre, but I prefer sci-fi and historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paranormal, Fantasy and Dystopian titles seem to draw my attention more than most. I do plan to expand and read other genres like historical, romance, and contemporary this year. Immortal Hope by Claire Ashgrove proved to me that I really do enjoy a good romance book with a twist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting you bring up trends in the publishing industry. I wonder if the influx in contemporaries is related at all to the close of three of the biggest-selling paranormal/fantasy/dystopian series in the last two years--Harry Potter, Twilight, and Hunger Games. And with the Potter movies all done and only one Twilight left, I wonder if publishers feared the interest in those genres would wan.

    Likewise, my predication is that we'll see an upswing in high fantasy once the Hobbit movies come out next December. Which I would totally be okay with!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can understand people who enjoy paranormal YA above all other genres. Escapism -- I get it. I just find myself analysing the characters and getting frustrated over the cliche love triangles and insta-love and all that stuff. I actually favour historical and contemporary! XD Exact opposite to you.

    I'm also a fan of the dystopia genre, but it's getting really played out. Not much I can do about that though . . . that's the way YA goes. I think there are more contemps coming out, or at least the focus on contemps is shifting. There are challenges and groups dedicates to contemp YA and I couldn't be happier. Also, ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS really reached out to many readers, even those who aren't contemp fans. I'm sure there's something in that...

    ReplyDelete