Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New Blog Tagline Needed - please help!!!


In May I am going to welcome a sweet baby boy into my family, but before that I am going on maternity leave from teaching and not going back. I'm going to embark on the adventure of being a domestic engineer doing lots of on the job training. I'm super-uber excited about this because it's really been my main "career" dream since I was young, and I'm also glad to get out of a profession that I feel has let me down in so many ways. There are some AMAZING teachers out there that were born to be teachers, and while I have learned so much from teaching and ultimately become the best teacher I can be... it's just not something that I feel innately called to do and have had a love-hate relationship with for eight years now. If I had been able to pursue my librarian aspirations, I believe I would be telling a very different story, but alas... It is what it is. That dream's not dead yet - just put on hold for a while.

So.... My blog's tagline (TEACHER-LIBRARIAN-FANGIRL) is going to need a serious update in May. I'm not really sure what direction I should go with it.

Here are some options I was thinking of...
  • Strike through the teacher-librarian and then add a dangling little "and mom" off of the fangirl part. That way I show all the facets of myself, the reviewer. I'm sure as I start reading to my son, I'm going to want to review those books, too... so that will be a part of the blog.
  • Change it to "A former teacher-librarian reviews" or something like that; after all, I'm not going to be able to review without thinking of it from a teacher or librarian's perspective.
  • I'm leaning more toward changing it to something that doesn't involve my profession or status in life at all... like "the rantings of a crazed bibliophile" or "bibliophile on the loose." The only problem is that I would still like there to be SOME kind of an educational slant obvious when visitors come to my blog

What do you think?? Any suggestions?? Am I being too OCD about this??


6 comments:

  1. My vote is for "bibliophile on the loose" or at least something along those lines. It's funny, but telling at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tend to really like something along those lines as well...

      Delete
  2. I also like 'bibliophile on the loose'. You can just leave in your side profile something about education and blah blah :) Yay for change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that I probably should just put the former educator business in the profile info.

      Delete
  3. Like the others, I like your "bibliophile on the loose" idea. It's fun. :) Or, this could be cute, could be corny, but as a domestic engineer, you could do something like "bibliophile in the house."

    I was a middle school English teacher before I became a stay-at-home mom so I had the same problem you did about how to change my blog to reflect the new roles I played. For me, I dropped all mentions of teaching from the blog itself, though I mention in some of my reviews that 'When I was teaching, my students devoured this book', or something along those lines. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cool to see another teacher who left to stay at home! :) Hm.... this gives me a thought... I wonder if I should do stay-at-home bibliophile... :)

      Delete