Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Synopsis:

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

Details:

Published September 29th 2011 by Dutton

The Elliott Review:

Again, Stephanie Perkins and her amazing writing have pulled me out of my genre bias to love yet another one of her books! I was hesitant to read this book because this genre really isn't my thing. I was a little more trusting since I knew that I loved Anna and the French Kiss despite its genre. I was, yet again, confounded by the amazingness. I love the way Perkins can craft a perfectly light-hearted story that melts my inner-adolescent heart while at the same time layering said story with depth of emotion and experience that makes the story that much more powerful.

I love the way readers get to see Lola grow from the person she is at the start to the person she is at the end. She's caught between her current boyfriend, Max, and her long-time crush who is back in town once more. Who she chooses very much hinges on what direction she wants to take in life, who she wants to be. Not an easy decision to make as a teen, but everything is extremely believable and realistic while at the same time being satisfyingly fluffy and ... squee-worthy! 

I love Cricket Bell! He's the perfect blend of nerdy, sincere, and trendy that makes him someone to swoon over. He endearingly helps Lola come to terms with who she is as a person, flaws and all, and to accept that person as she is. He's just a guy that a girl like me would actually want in real life in addition to being a great fictional character!

This is definitely a wonderful follow-up to Anna and the French Kiss, and it's one you won't want to miss if you have any sense of romance whatsoever.

Young Adult Notes:

Small amount of strong language, mild sensual scenes.

Source: ALA

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I want to read this so bad! Glad it's so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Anna and this one has been on TBR for awhile. Thanks for review.

    ReplyDelete