Friday, February 17, 2012

Review: Pandemonium (Delirium 2) by Lauren Oliver

Synopsis:

The old Lena remains with Alex in Portland, Maine, behind a wall of smoke and flame, but the new Lena was  born in the Wilds, transformed by hardship, deprivation, and loss.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena fights for aworld in which love will no longer be considered a dangerous disease. Her inner life is as turbulent as the world around her... Although consumed with grief for Alex, might she be falling in love with someone else?

Details:

Publication date: February 28th 2012 by HarperTeen

The Elliott Review:

I enjoyed reading Delirium. It took me a while to get into it, but I liked it. Now, Pandemonium, on the other hand, grabbed me from the start. The prose is just as beautiful as before, and the dual timeline throughout the book keeps the suspense moving. The time frame switches between THEN, which is what happened right after that night Lena escaped and Alex didn't, and NOW, which is later when Lena is working for the resistance. I loved this switch. It seemed to work very well, the scenes thoughtfully paired.

As before, Lena's voice is so well-developed, her thoughts poignant and meaningful. She must work through her grief over Alex and still try to find meaning in her current life. She doesn't know much about her mission for the resistance the night of a rally gone awry, but she finds herself thrown together with Julian Fineman, the son of a major figurehead of an organization that goes against everything the resistance stands for. 

Julian plans to be cured even though it may cost him his life. Yet. Somehow, it turns out that Lena and Julian have more in common than either would have expected. The way their relationship develops during the hardships they face together is ... totally wow! (Very eloquent, I know.) I love his back story and they way he copes with things in the present.

This book just completely astounded me. Toward the end I was not sure what to expect given what happened at the end of Delirium. I wasn't sure if I'd want to throw the book across the room in despair or scream or dance around or what... As it turns out, the ending was amazing, totally perfect, and ... it killed me just a little bit. I'm definitely waiting with baited breath for the third book in the series!!

Young Adult Notes:

Mild violence, some language, mild sensual scenes.

Source: ALA

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited and cannot wait to read Pandemonium. Have you read Hana yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved Delirium, it was one of my favorite reads of last year. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Pandemonium as it sounds just as fabulous as Delirium. I'm dying to know what happens next in this wonderful series. Great review !

    ReplyDelete