Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

Synopsis:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Details:

Publication date: April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen

The Elliott Review:

With all the controversy surrounding this author and this title, I wasn't really sure I could read it with an open mind. However, I'm not really into reading and blogging because of drama and buzz, so I decided that this book deserved its fair shake. After all, the synopsis sounded like something I would definitely want to read - who would wouldn't want to read about a dystopian-ish world mixed with a Bachelor-esque environment, especially when the selection in question involves an actual prince.

The book was a bit hard for me to get into at first. I was unsure if I liked America's voice in the story or not. As things progress, however, I found myself falling into the world and not wanting to leave. Like I said, I'm fascinated/disgusted/can't look away from situations where women are forced to compete for the attention of a male. Whether or not it's an actual competition of some kind like the one in this book, all girls and women can relate to it because we all compare ourselves to each other to some extent. In the case of the Selected, their situation is a little more straightforward.

I think the way America comes to know Prince Maxon and to be his friend is very well done. I wasn't sure how she would gain his favor, but it worked for me. I loved the way he is presented as a fair, giving, and lovable guy despite the way he is forced to choose his bride. I enjoyed watching their relationship develop only to be extremely complicated right at the end with a love triangle that really got to me. I can't decide if America should follow down the path that leads to Maxon or if she should refuse to sell out and get back together with Aspen, her ex boyfriend from home.

This book is one that will keep readers engaged, wondering, and at times frustrated by America's situation. For me it was great escape reading. I'm not sure what future installments will hold for the characters, as the palace is being threatened by rebel groups and as America seems to be changing Prince Maxon's way of leading and thinking.

Source: ALA

2 comments:

  1. Your right - so much controversy and conflicting opinions about this one. I'm not sure if the book is for me but nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my genre but I do like your enthusiasm for the book.

    ReplyDelete