Friday, June 22, 2012

Review: Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer

Synopsis:

What happens when happily ever after…isn’t?

Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.

Details:

Publication date: June 26th 2012 by Simon Pulse 


The Elliott Review:

Jodi Picoult is one of my literary idols. I love every single thing that she has written, so when I heard about her young adult book co-written with her daughter, I seriously started getting withdrawal shakes even though I hadn't yet experienced the book. As it turns out, since Jodi Picoult already has a ton of stories dealing with the gritty facts of life, many of them with teen protagonists, she has no need to create a young adult book with the same feel. This book is completely different from all of her others.

First of all, I LOVED the whimsical feel that exists throughout the story. This story is filled with the idea that once the author brings life to a character through writing, the character does have a life of his/her own despite having to continuously act the part they have been given by the author. We get to see pieces of the original fairy tale that Prince Oliver is a part of as well as his perspective and Delilah's perspective.

Prince Oliver decides he wants more, and his chance to get more occurs when Delilah finally notices that he isn't what he appears at first sight. I found myself desperately rooting for them as they attempt to get him out of the book in various ways. Everything is very light-hearted but extremely well-written and interesting. I kept thinking that this would make a wonderful movie and kind of saw it as a movie in my head. It has the "anything can happen" feel that is perfect for a story dealing with fairy tale themes.

The drawings scattered throughout bring another element to the story. Part of the reason I was so in love with Oliver is because of the awesome pictures of him and his adventures.

Source: ALA

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous you've gotten to read this already! Ever since I've heard about it, I've been eager to get my hands on this book, and reading your review makes me want to read it even more! Thanks for posting/teasing me. ;)

    ReplyDelete