Monday, July 30, 2012

Review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Synopsis:

"I won't tell anyone, Echo. I promise." Noah tucked a curl behind my ear. It had been so long since someone touched me like he did. Why did it have to be Noah Hutchins? His dark brown eyes shifted to my covered arms. "You didn't do that-did you? It was done to you?" No one ever asked that question. They stared. They whispered. They laughed. But they never asked.

"An edgy romance that pulls you in and never lets go. I was hooked!"-Gena Showalter,  New York Times bestselling author of the Intertwined series

So wrong for each other...and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.  Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

Details:

Publication date: July 31st 2012 by Harlequin Teen (first published June 1st 2012)

The Elliott Review:

This edgy, contemporary tale was an absolute work of art. I couldn't stop reading. I love that it deals with really dark subject matter in a realistic way. None of the grit of the characters' lives is minimized, yet there is also a sense of light at the end of the tunnel, of healing. I thought that the voices of both Echo and Noah were totally authentic. I especially appreciated Noah's sardonic wit and penchant for cursing. Not that cursing always makes for good voice, but in Noah's case I felt that it just fit.

I enjoyed Echo's and Noah's complicated romance in all of its phases. Yes, one can surmise that they will get together since the book is about both of them, but within that framework, nothing is a given. Two complete unlike people, they come to know each other and work together to discover more about their case files. As they learn more about what they have in common, the sparks begin to fly. All I can say is that Noah is hot, and his attraction to her fuels his desire to become a better person, something that usually doesn't happen in real life.

I love how each character is developed as well. Though both Noah and Echo grow tremendously throughout the story, nothing happens magically over night. Each victory is hard won with plenty of defeats behind it. The supporting characters aren't cardboard, either. They each bring their own issues to the table and go through a measure of development as well. It seems that every character in this book grows and changes and learns a lesson. And when I say "learns a lesson," I'm not talking about something preachy or moralistic. Everything is organic in the story. That is a balance that I think is so hard for a lot of authors to achieve - a positive ending with lessons learned that doesn't feel like an after school special. This one definitely doesn't.

I'm going to miss this edgy tale as well as Noah's character. I was really happy to see that there will be a companion novel about one of the supporting characters as well!!!

Source: Thanks to Harlequin Teen for making this title available at Netgalley.


2 comments:

  1. This one sounds like fun. I'll be reading it. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the review and this sounds like a must read book for me!!! Noah sounds amazing and I can't wait to read about these characters

    ReplyDelete