Friday, January 4, 2013

Review: The Lies that Bind (Liar Society 2) by Lisa and Laura Roecker

Synopsis:

Just when Kate Lowry thought she had life at elite private school Pemberly Brown figured out, she cracks open a fortune cookie to find a message from her best friend Grace--who's supposed to be dead.

Another Sister Gone

A classmate has gone missing, and Kate soon realizes that the disappearance is tied to the secret societies that rule her private school. Her best friend died for their secrets, and there's no way she'll let them get away with it twice. It's up to quirky outsider Kate to get some answers, but in a school where every answer leads to more questions and nothing's as it seems, who can she trust?

Details:

Published November 6th 2012 by Sourcebooks Fire
The Elliott Review:

This book is a perfect continuation of The Liar Society! I was sucked into it just as fast as I was in the first. Even though Kate has some answers about Grace's death, she is still mourning, still not over the whole thing. And in the midst of the campus trying to move on, another Sister disappears. This book develops the layers that the secret societies have at Pemberly-Brown, the way the Sisterhood and the Brotherhood are at war with each other. Even though she is not directly involved in either group, Kate is sucked into it all, trying to help find Bethany because she knows what it feels like to lose a friend.

My FAVE part of this book is the guy factor. Kate has, well, a lot of guys in her life be they hot or not. I love the continuation of her relationship with Liam ... but what's up with his not understanding her quest for justice? Will they be able to work it out? And then there's Bradley. Amazingly, he seems kind of sincerely like a decent guy... or is he?? And Seth. So loyal and sweet and always there for Kate. This would be so enthralling if he weren't always eating smelly Cheetos and being so unattractively going through puberty... Will he still be so semi-gross when he's done with the process? I just don't know how I feel about any of these guys. I like them all a lot, though, so I think it's, like, a love square??? I don't know. It definitely keeps me guessing.

The conclusion of the book is satisfying, yet some of my questions about the guys are still unanswered, leaving me basically crazy until the next book comes out.... At least, there better be!!! Ahh! So fun!

Source: Thanks to Sourcebooks Fire for providing a copy of this title in exchange for a fair review.


2 comments:

  1. I got this book on my Kindle from Netgalley a few months ago without realizing it was a sequel and I was so hurt. I need to read the Liar Society which SOUNDS SO GOOD. This book looks even better than that. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely read The Liar Society first so this one makes more sense! :) I think it would make sense without having read the first, but I'm always a stickler about reading stuff in order.

      Delete