Thursday, February 26, 2015

TBR Pile: If You Lived at the Time of the Civil War by Kay Moore; illustrated by Anni Matsick

Synopsis:


If you lived at the time of the Civil War
--Would you have seen a battle?
--Did you continue to go to school?
--Was it hard to get food?

This book tells you what it was like to live at the time of the Civil War from 1861 to 1865. 


Details:

Paperback, 64 pages
Published September 1st 1994 by Scholastic Paperbacks
Why I want to Read This:

The Civil War was a fascinating time period to learn about from my perspective as a middle schooler. Beautiful dresses, the threat of war and losing loved ones, fighting for freedom for the oppressed. My friends and I read a ton of books and watched as many movies as we could that dealt with this time period. Rifles for Watie, The Red Badge of Courage, Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Narrative of Frederick Douglass, 12 Years a Slaveanything by Michael Sharra, and so many more that I can't even list them all. I was also really shaped by a Christian fiction series on this topic by Gilbert Morris entitled The Appomatox Saga.

As an educator, pairing an easier to read book like this with readings from primary sources and more complicated novels from the time period is one way that students can begin to examine the story history tells.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, an oldie--surprised to see it here on your blog, Jessica! (I'm the illustrator.) My son inspired the boy in blue, he's now 32 :0) Glad you are finding the book useful! Don Tate told me he used it as a reference for his book, "Poet: The Remarkable Story of George Moses Horton."

    ReplyDelete