Wednesday, March 4, 2015

TBR Pile: If You Lived With the Sioux Indians by Ann McGovern

Synopsis:

If you lived with the Sioux Indians
--Would you hunt for food?
--What kind of home would you live in?
--What would be the bravest thing you could do?

This book tells you what it was like to live as a Sioux Indian in North and South Dakota during the years 1800 to 1850.




Details:

Paperback, 80 pages
Published September 1st 1992 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Why I Want to Read This:

The story of Native Americans and their fight to hold onto their own land and traditions is definitely one that saddens my heart, even as I am glad of my own culture and its accomplishments. I believe this book could be a jumping off point for some serious discussion about what it means to seek peace and harmony. My own concept of this time period is largely constructed from the plot lines of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman and Young Riders. Younger students may benefit from some of that as well (I have not watched either as an adult and am thus unsure exactly what angle those shows take). A more recent novel that has shaped my opinion is One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus, which I believes shows a bit more depth and complexity toward such a sensitive topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment