Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Review: Dinosaurs Living in My Hair by Jayne M. Rose-Vallee; illustrated by Anni Matsick

Synopsis:

Sabrina has curly hair and a problem. Tangles and knots make her mornings difficult. Try as she might . . . To make her hair "cool," . . . . The curls make it tricky . . . To comb out for school. At the top of her head . . . Where it's simply a mess . . . Do creatures hide out there? . . . The answer is YES! 

Rose-Vallee's whimsical rhymes combined with the beautiful watercolor illustrations from Anni Matsick make this a children's book not to be missed! A Florida Authors and Publishers Association (FAPA) 2015 President's Book Award Finalist for Poetry and Book Cover Design. `






Details:

Published April 16th 2015 by RoseVallee Creations, LLC

My Review:


I was interested to read this book because my three-year-old son's current obsession is dinosaurs. He loves any book or show relating to anything with dinosaurs, but I was curious to see how he would react to a book with a girl protagonist. This did not phase him in the least. He thought the idea of the dinosaurs in the girl's hair was hilarious and made me read the book four times in a row. He often does that, but usually not four times in a row!

I think the very playful idea of dinosaurs or creatures being lodged in a girl's very curly hair is one that is engaging to all children. It lends an aspect of mystery that keeps kids interested. Also, the playful rhyming verse is almost hypnotic. I think that's part of what my son wanted to hear again and again.

The artistry of the illustrations truly is beautiful. The pictures are stunning, and the imagination that Anni Matsick lends to Rose-Vallee's verse makes the book that much more of a rewarding experience.

I honestly think this is a book we will be reading for quite some time. My son mentioned it again on the way to the library today.

Source: Thanks to the author for providing a copy of this title in exchange for a fair review.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your little guy enjoyed the book, Jessi. His response is exactly what Jayne and I hoped for. I'm working on sketches for book 2 now, with more dino hilarity taking place in poor Sabrina's scalp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has been a lot of fun for us so far! Thanks for the chance to review! :)

      Delete
  2. I bet Ava would love this book too!

    ReplyDelete